Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Play That Pomp and Circumstance

I need to take a break from writing about my family and the silly things that pop into my head and appear on this blog to write about something that is very important to me, children and education.


I think my desire to see kids be all that they can be, comes from getting older and realizing that I will never be what I could have been. There is one very simple reason for that and it is the lack of a good education. The opportunities were there I just lacked the motivation. I know motivation comes from within but nothing fuels motivation more than encouragement or incentive. Those are also two things that were missing in my early years.


I'm a firm believer that every child is gifted with a specific talent from birth. The trick is determining what that talent is, nurturing it and watching it flourish. Too bad our kids aren't born with labels, "future accountant or scientist in the making". Can you imagine the proud momma standing outside the nursery window, peering at her baby exclaiming, "See, that one, TOMORROW'S CELEBRITY, she's mine! How easy it would be to offer up a little encouragement if we knew the outcome would produce a superstar, a doctor or a famous writer. Guess what? It can. Encouragement and sincere praise are high grade fuel for motivating a child. Fill their think tanks with a generous dose of each one and watch them go, go, go!


I know a lot of people would disagree with me on this one but, I see nothing wrong with offering a little incentive in the form of a special treat or small amounts of cash to encourage good grades or extra effort on projects. It's just my opinion but I think it's good for kids to realize early in life that hard work has a pay day. They will realize the value of brain power and momma gets bragging rights when report cards are sent home.



It's going to be difficult to encourage your child if you don't know what's going on behind those classroom doors. I ask three questions almost everyday. "How was your day?". "Did anything happen I need to know about?" "Did you get back any test grades I should know about? (for us that's anything below an 85)".


I'm proud to admit I'm one of "those moms" that some at school complain about. My son is 17 and I don't hesitate to call the school if I have a concern. Yep, he should be more responsible but sadly, he's not there yet. He's still a work in progress. I don't let opinions of teachers or principals hinder me as I parent my child the best way I know how and neither should you. I'm a momma with a mission. I won't rest until my kids and yours are marching to the beat of "Pomp and Circumstance" and on their way to accept their degree.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Southern California

    I am your newest follower :-)

    I invite you to visit my blog and follow me :-)

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete