Search This Blog

Monday, August 2, 2010

Parents.....can I get an Amen?

Getting ready to send my youngest son back to school next week has had me reminiscing about my own school days. I find myself comparing the way things were then to the way things are now. Boy, have things changed, from lunch menus to the teachers. Some things are better others not so much.

I can't believe my son has only two years left before graduating from high school. I regret that I have not been more vigilante during his high school years. He was fortunate to have been a student at Brooks Elementary during a time where there were some fabulous teachers along with a first rate office staff. Mrs Walker is an absolute genius when it comes to doing her job. All that was left for me to do was make sure he was prepared for class and there on time. There was no reason to ask questions about faculty members behavior or be at the school constantly because there was a problem. The teachers were there to teach and they did it well without interference from me. Thank you Brooks Elementary! My son was ready for high school and I expected the same professional atmosphere we experienced at BES. WRONG!! WRONG!! WRONG!!


There were issues in junior high that I chose to ignore rather than cause problems. I was still advising my son that he was to follow rules set by a teacher in the classroom. I wanted him to understand and follow the chain of command to prepare him for life as an adult life when he enters the job force. He complained about silly things like being counted tardy because he was on his way to the trash can to throw away a snot filled tissue when the bell rang. I stood behind the teacher and told him to in his seat when the bell rang. In other words, the teacher is always right. I even ignored it when a teacher confided in me with an air of disapproval that a student in her class was an atheist. I should have asked what his lack of religious belief had to do with school? I ignored when politic views where discussed in the classroom inappropriately during an election.

Man, have I changed my way of thinking. I'm sorry to say it but teachers are human just like the rest of us and they are not always right.......God love 'em. They make mistakes for whatever reason perhaps, they are misinformed..... in that case they should listen more. Could be they just don't care...........then they should leave the profession to those who do. Whatever the reason I am keeping my eyes and ears open for the remaining two years.

I watched an interview with Colts Coach Dungy yesterday and was inspired by many things he said. He quoted his father who was a teacher,who said that it was his job to help ALL his students get A's. Those were the words of a true educator. I wonder how many teachers are returning to the classroom with that attitude?

I realize it must appear as though I kind of have it in for teachers. I am not anti-teacher I am pro-equal opportunity classrooms. I have the utmost respect and admiration for those who teach our children. I am of the opinion that somewhere along the way a few of our teachers have allowed their personal feelings to interfere with their job performance. Especially, if they have children in the school where they employed or even worse, in their own classroom.

As a mother, I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to have a child in the same school I worked (if I were a teacher ) and not want to give into the natural parental urge to give my child a little motherly attention. I would hope that I would have enough self control to resist doing little favors for my child or their friends. I would hope my judgement would remain clear and I could distinguish right from wrong and make the best decision for ALL students and not just the ones that call me mom. And God forbid I would willingly or unknowingly harm another student while trying to make things easier for my own little darling.

Please don't assume I include all faculty members who have children enrolled at their place of employment. I certainly do not. The point I am making is that one teacher behaving this way is one too many. I would challenge administrators, superintendents, and school board members to address this issue.

I do not expect that my child or any other child be coddled during their high school years. I expect faculty and administrators to perform their job objectively showing no amount of favoritism or aversion to any student regardless of their family connections, athletic ability, choice of apparel, personality, social standing, hair style, religious affiliation, lack of religious affiliation or political views.

Okay, now that I have finished my sermon.................Can I get an AMEN???

1 comment: