Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Put the pumpkin down


Fall is just around the corner. I know because stores are stocking their shelves with Halloween merchandise. Big orange pumpkins some with big toothless grins and others with slanted eyes and ghoulish grins stare at me from their temporary homes in the department stores. They want me to take them home with me but I'm on to the seasonal retail game.

I have compiled a list for the inexperienced shopper regarding seasonal items you are bound to encounter during a weekly shopping trip.

1.Put that bright orange pumpkin back on the shelf. Your old plastic pumpkin will still do the job. Replace the bulb, set it on your porch and call it vintage.
2. Purchase Halloween candy on Halloween day and not one minute earlier. I don't think I need to explain this one.
3. Never spend over $10.00 on a Halloween costume. A cheap or homemade costume will get your kid just as much candy as an expensive costume will.
4. It takes more than avoiding the seasonal aisles when you shop. Mr WalMart is really smart. He will place pumpkins, bloody hands, cackling witches and other such nonsense in strategic locations throughout his store. It will be difficult to grab a 4 pack of toilet paper without some kind of ghostly encounter. I recommend buying enough toilet paper in August to last until January.
5. Leave your kids at home while shopping. How do you think I got my collection of 110 plastic pumpkins? My boy has outgrown a lot of childish things but he still loves the overpriced Halloween crap.
6. Leave your husband at home while shopping. My hubby has outgrown a lot of childish things but he still loves the overpriced Halloween crap.
7. Candy taste the same in it's everyday packaging as it does in holiday packaging. The only difference is the price.
8. If you don't have trick or treaters you'll be the candy eater. If you haven't had a trick or treater for the past 25 years chances are you won't have one this year. Do you really need five 10lb bags of Halloween themed candy?

Enjoy the last few days of summer............. before you know it we'll be trimming the tree.

1 comment:

  1. Those are some very nice tips and I'll keep them in mind when doing my shopping. I am also guilty of loving Halloween!

    ReplyDelete