Search This Blog

Thursday, September 30, 2010

I Found the Key......Now What?????

I've just finished reading a book that is so far over my head that I had to constantly google words for definitions just to be able to understand what I was reading. Why? You might ask? I wanted to challenge myself and expand my intellectual capabilities. Okay, so that's a lie.

I'm not going to tell you why I read the book. The important thing is I'm pretty darn proud of myself for muddling through it and finishing with a better understanding of the many different religious customs, rituals and beliefs throughout the world. I was in awe of the devotion that some of the people I was reading about showed their God. During the times when I was at my best it did not compare to their worst. Prayer many times throughout the day, good deeds done at every available opportunity, helping hands extended regularly, worship services not only attended but anticipated, self denial, diet restrictions all in the name of religion were just a few of the things I read about in this book. I was exhausted by their efforts to please their God and disgusted with my lack of effort.

As ashamed as I am to admit it I have done a little backsliding lately which is evident given I began this post with a lie. It's not something I planned or ever thought was possible. There was a time that if Sunday work was unavoidable I would get up and go to work in the wee hours of the morning so I could be finished in time for worship services. Now I am ready for any excuse not to be present.

Isn't it funny how something can make an impact on our life when we least expect it?
Somehow between all the googling for definitions and the struggle to understand the words written in this book I found cause to examine my own beliefs. This book was not one that I would have ever read. In fact, I would not pay attention to it in the bookstore unless it was accidentally shelved in the romance section at Books a Million and I needed to move it in order to reach the latest SEP book (that's Susan Elizabeth Phillips for all of non romance readers). Somehow through an unexpected chain of events the book landed in my hands and I was agreeing to read it. Regardless of how I got it, I'm happy I did. When I say I got it I mean more than just getting the book and reading it I mean I actually got IT!

They key to enlightenment may unlock a door but it is still useless unless you open the door and go in. My key is laying on the table I'm still working on actually using it to open the door.

1 comment: