Search This Blog

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Well, Hello September


Happy September! I am glad to see August get behind me. If I could rearrange the seasons we would have 5 months of fall, 1 month of really cold, snowy winter, 5 months of spring and 1 month of summer. I do love and look forward to the fall season.
I especially enjoy when the trees are clothed in the many different colors of fall. I love the mixture of rich orange, red, gold, yellow, olive and even the brown hues that fall brings each year. The amazing part is that the colors are never exactly the same. As much as I admire the decorations used by my friends and neighbors in their front yards here in North Alabama each fall, none compare to God's beautiful fall designs.
When I was a child fall meant it was time for the fair to come to town. Early on we picked cotton to have spending money for the fair. Unfortunately, I wasn't much of a cotton picker so I enjoyed the fair on a shoestring budget. I can still smell the corndogs frying. The taste of an original hot, crispy, batter coated weiner on a stick from the fair was something my children never got to experience. Oh, corndogs are still for sale at the fair but, somewhere along the line corndogs got modernized or something and the taste factor went out the door. During those days cotton candy was only for sale when the fair was in town. There were no plastic tubs of the sweet fluffy treat for sale at local stores. Cotton candy was always on my list of thing to purchase at the fair along with a candy apple.
Other attractions at the fair included livestock which I skipped, we had that at home.I did look forward to a spin on the tilt a whirl and a couple of other rides. I never ventured into the haunted house or anything that might frighten me. I hated being scared. I watched from the sidelines as other brave children boarded the tiny carts for a ride through the dark tunnel. I envied their brave nature but never enough to climb in a cart and take the trip myself.
I saw a billboard announcing George Jones will be performing at the fair in Lawrenceburg, TN this year. I imagine that will draw a few of the old timers out to see the show and enjoy the fair. Even though, it sounds like a great time I think I'll make my own premade frozen corndog, pop the lid off a tub of cotton candy to enjoy while I sit in the front yard and watch the leaves change colors.

No comments:

Post a Comment