Search This Blog

Sunday, July 18, 2010

From a can, homemade, frozen.....

Name your biscuit. ....honestly I'll eat any of them and like it.

Pillsbury ain't got nothing on my family. My Maw Maw Cox was freezing biscuits long before Pillsbury came up with that beautiful blue bag filled with your choice of either flaky, southern or buttermilk biscuits found in the freezer section. Personally I would have gone for the flaky, southern, buttermilk biscuit and marketed it as three biscuits in one. But who am I to tell Mrs Pillsbury how to sell her biscuits? Maw maw just froze her biscuits on aluminium pie pans so paw paw could make his own breakfast. I always ate toast when I visited their house.

I liked my Grandmother Holden's biscuits the best. I always knew it was almost time to eat when I heard her whack a can of biscuits on the counter to open it. Opening a can of biscuits takes a certain amount of finesse. A swift hard whack of the can along the edge of your kitchen counter will usually do the trick but you can always use a knife to pry open a can. Grandmother baked her biscuits on the lid saved from a five gallon can of lard. My favorite way to eat a canned biscuit was for breakfast when they were covered in chocolate gravy. Throw in a couple of spoonfuls of butter and my day was off to a good start.

My momma almost always gets her biscuits from a can like her mother but when she does dip into the White Lily bag you won't find a better biscuit. I like momma's homemade biscuits with gravy or some white Karo Syrup poured over them .

Me, I don't discriminate when it comes to biscuits. It depends on which of the three biscuit choices suits my current mood. If I'm feeling all domestic you will find me in the kitchen mixing bowl and spoon in hand working to produce a homemade biscuit that is worthy of my wonderful family. I visualize my family rising from their seats to applaud as I place my platter of hot fluffy biscuits on the table. I smile as they place a diamond studded biscuit shaped tiara upon my flour covered head and pronounce me biscuit queen.

For those times when I'm in a hurry but still feel the need to impress I rely on Mrs Pillsbury and the blue bag. No standing ovation but no complaints either. Frozen biscuits are best served with a bowl of chicken and dumplings and a slice of garden fresh tomato. I've head many of a "nanny this is so good" after serving this trio to my grandchildren.

When I'm in a hurry and financially challenged I reach for the can. Mine never turn out like grandmother's but they are quite edible and if you use enough butter anything taste good. I can't help but wonder if the secret to grandmother's canned biscuits was the lard can lid baking pan she used or the whole lotta love she served along with them. If I was a gambler I'd be betting on the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment