Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Kitchen Retreat

Today is the 5th day of my staycation and I have spent most of the day in the kitchen. I whipped up a delicious squash casserole, broccoli cornbread with a surprise inside (smoked sausage). I wish I could take credit for thinking of adding the smoked sausage but that goes to Linda the wife of a forum admin where I freqently post.
I borrowed another culinary trick from Ramm and Linda for my chicken stew. Who would have thought that adding a package of Ramen noodles would produce such amazing results? Just throw those crunchy noodles in on top of your chicken along with the seasoning packet and your family will think you are a genius in the kitchen. Don't tell them you read it here just pretend you were in the pantry gazing at your stockpile of Ramen and had a lightening bolt moment.

Anybody that knows me is thinking ...........hmm, what's for dessert? It is a well known fact that every meal in my kitchen ends with some kind of dessert even if it's only a Little Debbie. I did a little better than those delightful treats in a cellophane package today. I tried a new recipe for a coconut sheet cake. So easy my youngest granddaughter could make it and so good that my youngest granddaughter would eat it. She has a reputation for being a bit of a food critic.

Grab yourself a box of yellow cake mix, throw in 4 eggs and a can of coconut pie filling. Pour into a greased and floured sheet cake pan and bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees. Top it off with a can of cream cheese frosting. Feed it to your family food critic and prepare yourself for praise. Hold onto your hat so that your swollen head doesn't eject it onto the floor.

When I return to work and everyone ask where I spent my vacation I have the perfect response..........I spent some time at a quaint little kitchen retreat waaay north of the beach and waaay south of the mountains. It's the IN place to spend your vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment