Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

To Love a Vampire.....or Not

The vampires have invaded the romance section of the bookstore. What is up with that? This just doesn't work for me. I am totally confounded at the notion of how any woman in her right mind is gonna go gaga over a vampire. What woman wants to kiss a guy with blood breath? I don't care if he does look like Edward.........I'll pass. Thank you very much.

I've been an avid reader since I discovered the magic of Dick and Jane. When I read the words "See Spot Run" I envisioned Spot galloping full speed ahead across a well manicured perfect shade of green lawn to greet the perfect family. Oh, how happy they were and not a one of them a vampire!

I soon outgrew Dick, Jane, mother and father moving on to the more sophisticated antics of Ramona Quimby. That Ramona could get herself into some situations but I don't recall ever reading about her having a crush on the cute vampire next door. I just cannot imagine strolling into the school library to check out a copy of Ramona Bites Back.

I loved going to the book mobile at the little country store a mile or so from our home during the summer months. I could score a Grace Livingston Hill book, a Mallow Cup, and a Pepsi all at one location. That Grace sure knew how to make you fall in love with her hero. I can't imagine any of Grace's heroine's falling madly in love with a long toothed blood sucker hundreds of years her senior.

I soon graduated to a more mature level of romance books. I was reading Patricia Matthews, Rosemary Rogers, and Kathleen Woodwiss long before I should have. These ladies all had one thing in common.......a great love story that would keep me reading non stop from beginning to end. I fell in and out of love with handsome men, average men and the occasional ugly man. I struggled with tragic losses, celebrated great wealth, and was devastatingly beautiful all courtesy of these and other great writers. Guess what??? Yep........still no vampires

It's not that I haven't tried to love a vampire. I do not discriminate when it comes to love. If it involves some good old fashioned, heart wrenching, playing hard to get romance........I am there for the story. I just can't go there if it involves vampires.

1 comment:

  1. I can't blame you a bit. I am not into these vampires and their business at all.

    ReplyDelete